A year after Encide began, our little community wanted to push the boundaries of what our concept interfaces could look like. While earlier communities with interface “battlebays” had come and gone, we wanted to leave a truly unique mark. The project was a wild success and an unprecedented labor of love for the sub-culture. There were no clients or rules, only a few obvious guidelines and a deadline. For years, I have held onto a collection of scraps, leftovers, and alternatives that participants created that year. Most of these have never been shown outside of our private forum. Enjoy, and check back next week for more b-sides from 2009!
(1) (By Philipp Meichsner, aka “KiDLaB”) – This step was uploaded to DeviantArt after the project’s conclusion.
(2) (By Simon Ohm, aka “Godsilla”) – This was an earlier version of Simon’s step #20 from before the glass was broken.
(3) (By Marcel Siewert, aka “Bitkomponist”/“fixationarts”) – This jaw dropping concept was never completed.
(4) (By “Kwayl”) – This was an alternative presentation with a custom background environment to Kwayl’s step #41.
(5) (By Robb Meril, aka “Jinjiq”/“RGC3”) – These were unfinished concepts by Robb who also designed the intro image that year.
(6) (By Jan Vu Nam, aka “Vucek”) – This was an early concept of Jan’s step #31 before he changed the colors and reflections.
(7) (By Rob Faller, aka “huga”/“3xplode”) – This was one of the first iterations submitted before the white chrome was added to step #4.
(8) (By Sean Michael) – Earlier previews and color variations on what became Sean’s step #55.
(9) (By Lance Thackeray, aka “PureAV”) – Lance’s original interface scrap before he completely rebuilt the idea for step #40.
(10) (By Ralph Saunders, aka “Nemesis”) – This was an unfinished scrap that had some promising shapes and styling.
(11) (By Laurie Jones, aka “Laurie-J”) – Another incomplete concept that had some interesting shapes to begin with.
(12) (By Matthieu Dufour, aka “MATT.”) – A brushed, unfinished concept that always reminded me of the original Zelda for NES.
(13) (By Jive Gerard G. Medina, aka “Jive”/“Tsukasaxen”/“Jaivu”) – A massive collection of concepts and iterations that became step #17.
I hope you enjoyed taking a quick look into the past! If you enjoyed these images and notes, there are more of these on the way. I have collected and curated hundreds of images from these projects that have mostly never been seen before. If you want to take a look back at the complete 2009 project, you can view it online here or as a massive single image here.